Eating for exercise
If you are planning to do exercise, it is important that you eat and drink correctly before, during, as well as after getting active.
• It is crucial to ensure that you’re well hydrated before exercising. Drink at least two cups of water about two hours before exercise.
• Don’t exercise when the body is depleted of nutrients (like before breakfast).
• For optimum exercise performance, be sure to consume a healthy, well-balanced diet throughout the day.
• Drink plenty of water during exercise to prevent dehydration and limited performance. Drink a half a cup of water every 10 to 15 minutes.
• Don’t consume food during exercise, because the body shifts fluid away from muscles and into the gastrointestinal tract for digestion, lessening your physical performance.
• Opt for a snack or light meal about 30 minutes after exercise. The ideal post-exercise snack is light and nutritious, containing mainly carbohydrates and protein.
• To achieve the best results, consume a healthy, well-balanced diet every day.
Eating correctly before, during, and after exercise will give you the nutrition you need to work out to the best of your abilities. You will feel stronger, have more sustained energy, and get better results from your workout. Make sure to consult with your doctor before starting any eating or exercise plan.